Google

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Patriarchy...it rears its ugly head in all places.

No, I am not a radical feminist. I believe in being a decent human being, because that's what we're all supposed to be. I don't believe in participating in a system of power (the patriarchy) that crushes people because of their gender, and then crushes people of the opposing gender because they're saying "hang on a minute, that's a bit out of order."

I've just been reading a blog called PunkAssblog, and one thread about guys pretending to be on side with feminists and supporting the cause when in fact they're just trolling made my blood boil. There were two trolls on that thread, one of them decided to state matter of factly that the "Patriarchy doesn't exist."

Ex - fucking - scuse me?


Just take a look at today. Valentines day. A lovely idea. A lovely sentiment. What's the reality though?

One day in the year when men have to be really romantic. Only one day when they have to make any effort with their respective partner. The rest of the time they can be lazy and unaffectionate, and it's OK, because I bought flowers, chocolate and a card for her.

Perfectly sensible women fall into this trap too. "Valentines day's so sweet! He was really nice this year."

Um. He should be nice to you. Every day of the year. That should be a given. That sentence is on par with "He's good to me," for making me angry. He's good to you? HE'S GOOD TO YOU?! What are you, a battered wife?! Of course he's good to you, he fucking should be, it should be a fucking given!

I'm not trying to be an Uber scrooge, and before you start, I'm not single and therfore embittered. I just know that for myself and Sarah, Valentines is fucking pointless because I make an effort to be a sweet and loving guy to her all the time. And it's no effort. I like doing that because I like seeing her happy.

Valentines day is one of the best examples of Patriarchy in action; Don't worry fella's, we'll fix it so that you don't have to put any effort in for the rest of the year with your girlfriend or wife, we'll fix it so that as long as you're really romantic on this one day of the year, you can get up to whatever crazy shit you want. Hell, buy her big ass ring on Valentines and you can probably cheat on her! We'll also make a butt load of money hawking tacky crap that you'll never use again! It's better than Christmas. It's a license to print money!"

Don't be so blind.

No comments: