Google

Monday, March 10, 2008

ughh...... hangover hell


It is ironic that I am writing this with a horrendous hangover considering I'd done a massive post on binge drinking and its cultural impact... all I can say is ugh....

My. Head. Hurts.

Why the fuck do I do this to myself? I'm not going to be ok until sometime into tomorrow day. I have things to do, like recover and play computer games, possibly write songs... who knows? I know we have to have a little bit of acoustic jamming and stuff....

Just done a little research on hangovers themselves... no I didn't go to wikipedia, for it is not the font of all knowledge, but the Thinking Blog

(http://www.thethinkingblog.com/2007/01/how-to-recover-from-hangovers.html)

has just told me the the formal term for a hangover is veisalgia; it comes from the Norwegian word Kveis "uneasiness after debauchery" and Algia... a catch all Latin term for any kind of pain.

It hasn't helped me at all. I will probably be drinking water by the pint, avoiding any and all food, and cradling my head feeling very sorry for myself. My housemates and bandmates will tell me one of two things;

1)They have no sympathy for me whatsoever, I did this to myself.

2)Suck it up and quit being a wuss.

*whimper*

4 comments:

punk in writing said...

How can you drink when you work in a bar?

When I did, it put me off drink for a whole year after I quit. And I didn't even work as a bartender, I was a manager and a bouncer but just being around drunk people put me off it.

Jools said...

It does seem rather odd doesn't it? Spending God knows how much time around drunk people and seeing the very worst of human behavior ought to be enough to put people off drinking for a good long while. But a lot of us have the mentality that it's something of a reward. When we're not working and serving pissed people, we can't help but think "My turn..." I find that bartenders are a little better at behaving when they drink... partially because it's fresh in their mind at how bad some people can be... and no one wants to be the drunk arsehole that everyone avoids...

That said, I'm knocking the drink on the head for a month at the end of this week. Totally unrelated to mondays hangover, of course.

punk in writing said...

Jools said: But a lot of us have the mentality that it's something of a reward. When we're not working and serving pissed people, we can't help but think "My turn..."

Is it rewarding to nurse the hangover from hell too? ;)

Jools said...

No, nursing a hangover is never ever worth it.

I did a post about hangovers getting worse as you get older... They do. Hangovers when I was eighteen were just a drag that lasted a few hours. Now, they last days....